Friday, August 19, 2005

Where do the thanks begin...


Sergeant Audie Murphy Club Newest Inductee

Unfortunately my Soldiers missed the most important part of the SAMC Induction Ceremony. The part where I get to thank them...the speech recited from my heart went a little something like this:

To SSG Edwin Velez-Rivera (now Warrant Officer) I am blessed to have had such an example as my very first NCOIC. My successes in the Army have been because of your belief in me and the standard to which you expected me to perform. As a PFC you and SGM Martinez were getting me ready for the SAMC Board.

At this time I need to thank my Soldiers for working so very hard each and every day. Not only on protocol support, but just being good people. These Soldiers show up on time, complete the mission sometimes by my side and sometimes without my supervision. I trust them completely with the ability to complete any animal mission requested by our veterinarians or PI's. But, not only do they have the technical skills to accomplish the mission, they have the heart to go above and beyond by participating in Soldier of the Month, Quarter and Year Boards and all enrolled in college classes or correspondence courses. I thank SPC Bratton for her dedication and loyalty to her friends. For her ability to always be true to those she is closest to and always looks out for their best interest. To SPC Benford for taking on responsibility and taking the intiative to look out for the well being of everyone and to be the one who speaks out on behalf of those who are afraid to and communicate effectively by always being respectful and holding the feelings of those who might be hurt by the truth close to your heart. I have an enormous amount of respect for you, your aspirations and the belief you will accomplish all that you set your mind to while making a positive difference in the lives of every Soldier you come in contact with. To SPC Mourning my sincere gratitude for your courage to try out for the German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge and getting me to do it with you. As you move on in your Army career I hope you continue to volunteer for these kinds of activities. These activities are what make the Army fun and promote comraderie and remind you that you do in fact love the Army. Keep this in mind during your time and you will motivate many Soldiers and build a better relationship which will then promote more trust and your ability to be a leader to those Soldiers. SPC Gomez, SPC Craighead, and SPC Driscoll thank you for the laughs. You made work fun and eventful. I appreciate your humor and your overall ability to bring such joy to our work environment. Also to all of the Soldiers in VetMed and those throughout the Army who are currently raising young children your sacrifice of selfless service can be matched by nothing else. You are truly dedicated to the Army.

To my NCOIC's many thanks. SGT Berry, thank you for your unconditional friendship and support. SFC Smith, thank you for the discipline, good fun and laughter. SFC Grabenbauer thank you for patience and active listening skills. I have learned so much from each of you.

I'd like to thank SGM Rorrer-Sosa for being so approachable and having a kind energy that makes Soldiers feel at ease in your presence.

To 1SG Graham and MSG Lyle, thank you for your support.

I need to thank my two mentors CPT Michelle Peacock (AKA: Major Marvelous Michelle) and CPT Todd Bell for teaching me BY EXAMPLE how to better manage my time and to organize my life. And also for keeping me grounded during the time I was without Adam.

I need to thank SSG Long, SSG Moses, SSG Santiago and SFC Van Loon for believing I had what it took to become a member of the SAMC. To SFC Van Loon for making me promise to attempt it after my National Certification Examination. To SSG Long who questioned me on 6 mile runs, during lunch, training breaks etc., etc., etc... (HE WOULDN'T STOP I TELL YA!!!) and also for staying involved in the process of my becoming a SAMC member even when he was at ANCOC in Fort Sam Houston, TX. To SSG Moses for sponsoring me in SSG Long's absence and for staying here on his leave for an extra two days to support me in this endevour. To SSG Arbenz my best friend here at WRAIR. For always being there when I needed a shoulder to cry on or someone to put the pieces of my life back together when I thought it wasn't possible.

SPC Kersting for always pushing my buttons. Without your sarcasm and relentless criticism I would not be the NCO I am today. I have missed you more than you can imagine. I didn't know the workload you placed on yourself and your attention to detail as you went about your daily tasks. You left no little task undone. I didn't find out until you were gone just how smooth the days and protocols went by because of your dedication to the mission. You will certainly be a good leader because of your dedication to do a great job and your ability to motivate those around you. Continue the outstanding achievements in Japan.

SPC Swails for your kind words and kind actions. You are an inspiration to me and the junior enlisted Soldiers and NCO's you work with everyday. Your dedication to your work, your family and your personal relationships is matched by no one I can think of. You are truly an upstanding Soldier and will soon be leading Soldiers of your own. All who have the opportunity to be one of your Soldiers will benefit from your example and your leadership skills. You will have a tremendous impact on many young lives and a successful Army career.

General Schoomaker, SGM Costa, SSG Robertson and the SGT's and Soldiers for their time and teamwork to have put on such a motivating and inspiring ceremony.

SGM Scott for overseeing the induction practice to ensure it went off without a hitch. I don't know I've seen a SGM at a practice... Also thank you for sitting as the President of the Board. You indeed put the fear of God into me when you suggested that any NCO who didn't make it would be expected to come back over and over until they did. I felt I'd have to keep reenlisting and reenlisting, not because I wanted to, but because I would be experiencing the nauseating pressure of the SAMC Board Quarterly for the rest of my career. Fortunately, I did it on the first try. Thank you SGM.

Adam for all of your love and support. You have been able to keep me grounded by helping me think through problems and look at situations in a more logical perspective rather than the emotionally involved approach I usually take. Your laughter and friendship is the brightest part of my life. I love you very much.

Mom for all of your support throughout my life. You have been my hero as you are the strongest person I know. Your ability to overcome such adversity in your life and continue to support me in all of my endevours has been the biggest influence in my life. I can't thank you enough for all you have given me.

Gram and Grandpa for making the long journey out to the east coast. I appreciate you taking the time away from the ranch, especially during haying season to celebrate this moment with me. I love you.

To all who have influenced me to be a successful individual, "thank you", but it just doesn't seem like enough...

1 Comments:

Blogger Nickolaus Kersting said...

What about that SPC Kersting guy??? wasnt he good?? Anyways Congratualtions, you have to stay in now right?

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home