Saturday, July 30, 2005


Farmers Market

Martha's Vineyard...Adam couldn't have said it better, "If God lives at Lake Burton, he vacations in Martha's Vineyard". I can't express the beauty of the island nor how much fun I had meeting Dave's Mom and Dad as well as his long time friends. Mr. and Mrs. Bennett's hospitality and generosity were endless. By far, two of the lovliest people I've had the opportunity to meet and I was so very sad that we had to leave after having just met them. (They were so wonderful we plan on going back, maybe they'll rethink thier generosity next time). As for Dave's friends, I have laughed that hard thanks to Dave and Adam recently, but they were an absolute riot to hang out with on the beach, play whiffle ball and drink beers...

Flying a kite over the ocean is very different than flying a kite next to the Potomac (even on a non-stinky river day). The wind caught the kite and you could manuver it this way and that, with just your eyes to the sky and the sound of the ocean rolling in and out along beach. The flapping of the kite as it spirals downward and abruptly upward. Skipping forward as the breeze lifts it higher ever so gently giving you the feeling that your organs and breathe might just roll as gently out of your body skyward and free...

The newfound feeling of weightlessness and freedom on the water (much like that on fresh powder with a board stapped to the soles of your feet) will not go away. I didn't think it possible to have that kind of experience on the ocean. Jenny taught me how to boogie board and as I paddled out into the sea the salt stinging my eyes and the taste was foreign to me in the water, as I had always been a mountain lake girl. Many times over Jenny would let me know when to start paddling toward shore in hopes I would catch a wave. Sometimes I'd get on it for a moment, but until I rode it all the way to the beach I had never understood what all the hype was about. Yeah, I always said I wanted to surf, but I didn't know why. I can't get the feeling out of my head. Your proprioceptors have no idea where you are in space as the force of the wave takes you in and you ride the tide into the sand. Such a free and empowering experience, something I will never forget, and something I will strive continuously to relive. Thank you Jenny & Tater...

Alli, you make an amazing frittata! I won't forget that either.

Farmer's Market...just beautiful, take a look for yourself.

Martha's Vineyard has also been the inspiration as to how I want to live the next chapter of my life. Living sustainably. Learning the do's and do not's (yes, I said do not's). Thank you Anna Edey for your inspiration and Adam Johnson for having such an open mind and encouraging me on the path with your support and your beliefs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home