Monday, August 22, 2005



trace1 (trs)
n.

1. a. A visible mark, such as a footprint, made or left by the passage of a person, animal, or thing.

b. Evidence or an indication of the former presence or existence of something; a vestige.

I walked into the house after my first day of competition for the German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge and it seemed like an eternity since my family had left. When in fact, Adam had just taken them to the airport that morning. As I crept away at 4:30AM I kissed my mom and Adam good day, gave the dogs a scratch and knew my gram and grandpa were still fast asleep upstairs. After a long morning of driving, a dip in the pool, cheering my Soldiers on for the gold and sweating to meet the requirements I too had to meet, I was finally home. But, it felt so lonely after weekend with my mom, gram and grandpa. The roses given to my mom and gram were still in the vase, wilting just a bit. Grandpa's ashtray was pushed to the side of the table with his almost empty coffee cup beside it. And the umbrella gram was perched beneath in her wheelchair trying to keep from getting wet as Adam pushed her through the rain was hanging on the banister slightly open. I couldn't wait for Adam to get home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home